X on the 386

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver.UUCP
Tue Feb 13 18:09:16 AEST 1990

>From article <1990Feb12.180931.1093 at aqdata.uucp>, by sullivan at aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan):
> I have some questions about running and developing X-windows on the 386.
> Since I am somewhat ignorant about 386 and X things, any help provided
> will be appreciated.
>
> How much memory should be loaded up to run X?

  At least four meg. 8 meg to stop swapping with several windows.

> Are Interactive's X packages stable?  I'd ask about SCO but their
> development package isn't available yet.

 Depends what you mean by 'stable'. Speaking of SCO's development package
not being available, can someone tell me how you can sell a OS and
not have the development system done??? How does SCO compile the OS
without a stable development system. Or is the development system unstable
that's why they dont' sell it?? If that's the case wouldn't the compiled
OS be unstable? Chicken and Egg type stuff I guess.

> Are there any alternatives to SCO and Interactive for X development/use
> on the 386?

  ESIX, Dell, ATT, and Intel.

> Are there any Open Look development packages available on the 386?
>
> Which type of mouse is better:  bus or serial?

 I tried both the LogicTech serial mouse and bus mouse and the 'bus mouse'
definitely responed better.

> Any multiport serial board recommendations/warning?

  I believe their are some problems with Micronic's cache boards and
Digiports smart serial io cards. Or has this been fixed?

--
Bob Palowoda  pacbell!indetech!palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda         (415)-623-8809 1200/2400