Stack Pointer Registers on AT&T 6386 Sys V R3.2

Admin root at revere.UUCP
Fri Feb 9 13:10:01 AEST 1990

I'm looking for a way to save the active part of the current process stack
possibly into a save area, then copying the saved stack of the new process
onto the real stack, and resetting the processor's stack pointer and frame
pointer registers to point to the new stack.

The Frame Pointer, Stack Pointer, and Program Counter are usually accessable
on some BSD type machines like a Sun.  It is very easy to do context
switching upon these types of machines because it is supported through
the setjmp/longjmp system calls.  However the stack environment is not
saved for programmer's use nor is it accessable on an AT&T 6386 running
System V R3.2.

Does anyone know of a way, either through "C" or "C++" or "asm", that it
could be done.  I'm trying to build a "C++" class library, and want to
do context switching for the classes "Heap" and "Stack", so that "garbage"
compaction could be done.

				Eugene E. Galarneau
                                uunet!sharkey!teemc!revere!eeg