unlimited vs. 1-2 users

Karl Lehenbauer karl at ficc.uu.net
Tue Feb 6 04:32:21 AEST 1990

In article <L0K18WBxds13 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>The tape drive business is uncool, though.

When Dmitri visited Ferranti a year or so ago to demonstrate Unix, the blit
card, etc, Peter and I pigeonholed him and gave him a rather hard time about
making gratuitous changes in external hardware so not-purchased-from-BT-at-a-
righteous-markup hardware wouldn't work.

They did ultimately drop this policy -- 3.2 included drives from the Bell Tech-
modified tape controller and for the standard ones, for example.

They never have supported dumb serial boards (other than their own) adequately,
something Microport for all their flaws more or less always did, but we now
have PD asy drivers and such, so the bold may proceed unhindered.
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl "...as long as there is a Legion of super-Heroes,
   uunet!sugar!karl       all else can surely be made right."   -- Sensor Girl