AT&T 386 UNIX software development set

John Plocher plocher at sally.Sun.COM
Wed Feb 7 18:16:40 AEST 1990

+-- In <102 at abhg.UUCP> misko at abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) writes
| 386 UNIX from Release 3.1 to 3.2.2.  Now ... I am wondering about
| the software development set ... Issue 4.1.
+--

The version shipped with the latest version of 3.2 is CPLU 4.1.6.
It is a  bit better that the 4.1.5 shipped with the early version of 3.2,
and noticably better than the 3.1 version.

CPLU 4.1.6 does have one subtle bug:  If a structure's size is less than
4 bytes total:

	struct foo {
		unsigned char size;
		char          offset;
	};

then the compiler will generate code that corrupts the stack.  It seems to
assume that it can copy at least a "word" of data to/from the stack when
it arranges for structures to be passed as parameters to functions.
The solution is to pad the structure ... :-(

System Vr4 has a new compiler with a 5.x version number.  The current
version is quite stable, and it has full ANSI support (as well as
a full backward compatability mode with the Vr3/V7 compilers...)

The 3.1 version you have should work well with the Vr3.2 system you have
with the possable exception of the #pragma lines found in <sys/kd.h>.

    -John Plocher