SCSI drive adapter advice wanted

Kevin L. Allred allred at ut-emx.UUCP
Tue Feb 20 11:07:11 AEST 1990

In article <2870 at jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, C43CJK%ENG4.gm at hac2arpa.hac.com (Craig Keithley) writes:
> I am looking for experiences/advice on the selection of a SCSI drive adapter
> to use on my 386.  I currently have a WD1006(?) MFM controller w/ a Micropolis
> 1325 drive, running DOS and ESIX.
>
> I am considering one of the following:
>     Seagate,
>     Future Domain
>     Adaptec
> SCSI adapter to use as the controller for additional hard disks.

I have the Seagate ST-02 SCSI host adaptor and the ST296N drive
running only DOS at the moment.  I haven't purchased any version of
Unix yet, because I haven't figured out who supports the ST-02.
According to the ESIX documentation, they only support the Adaptec.
When I find out who and how much, I will make the decision as to
whether it is most cost effective to buy the adeptec (This would
certainly be the high performance option) and say ESIX or to buy a
different (probably more expensive) Unix and keep the ST-02.  I know
an ST-02 device driver was posted to the net several months ago, but
as I understand it, the kernel could not be rebuilt to support the
ST-02 as the boot device.  (Can anyone comment on this point?)  The
next point to note is that the BIOS chip in the ST-02 has a Future
Domain copy write notice on it.  Is the ST-02 a repackaged Future
Domain SCSI host adaptor?  Is it compatible with drivers that support
the Future Domain adaptors?

--

	Kevin Allred
	allred at emx.cc.utexas.edu