X problem with 386ix 2.0.2 and mono VGA screen

Jim Logan logan at inpnms.UUCP
Wed Feb 28 10:49:18 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb19.195600.7778 at hcr.uucp> jeff at hcr.uucp (Jeffrey Roberts) writes:
# I recently encountered an interesting problem while installing
# 'X' windows version 1.1.1 under 386ix 2.0.2.  The installation went
# smoothly and a new kernel was built and installed with no difficulty.
# When 'X' is started up from any virtual terminal, ie: console, vt01 etc..
# 'X' starts up with no problem.  If I switch to another virtual terminal
# I can see the cursor but nothing else, ie: any characters that I type
# are invisible.  I can switch back to the 'X' window and everything
# looks fine.  When I leave 'X' my initial virtual terminal goes into this
# state as well which is a problem because the only way to fix the problem
# is to reboot the machine.  This is difficult when you cannot see what
# you are typing.
#
# This only happens when a mono VGA monitor is used.

Not true.  This also happens to me when I use X with an EGA
board.  I intend to look through the documentation to see if
there is an ioctl() call that can be used to re-initialize the
screen(s).  I'll let you in on it if I find anything.

--
James Logan                       UUCP: uunet!inpnms!logan
Data General Telecommunications   Inet: logan%inpnms at uunet.uu.net
(301) 590-3198