Blindingly fast disk I/O and pr

neese at adaptex.UUCP neese at adaptex.UUCP
Sat Feb 24 02:15:00 AEST 1990

>>	I have used adaptec
>>	1542 controllers, but ihave had big problems with Archive
>>	150 M SCSI streamers. I have got always PANIC .. error code 17
>>	when i have used steamer . I am now looking some other
>>	solution for SCSI disc and tape.
>>	The problem with 1542 and Archive 2150S is not problem with
>>	only one unit , i have tested 5 diferent ones of 1540 / 1542
>>	three 210S`s and in many diferent computers.    .... And
>>	once i got it working, but then i sold controller ... !.
>>	The problem is not with SCSI id , not with parity .
>>

>> 	Petri Alhola
>>	petri at digiw.fi
>
>It works for me... and four other individuals with whom I work.
>In fact, we all are using Adaptec AHA-1542A host adapters,
>Archive 2150S tape drives, and Newbury 4380S disks (inspite of
>Roy Neese's warnings about bus-arbitration problems with the 4380's)
>
>Anyone out there have a sure-fire way to reproduce the bus-arbitration
>problem?  Does the problem only occur with heavily loaded disks or
>have we just been lucky so far?  All revisions of Newbury drives?

I know the early versions of the Newbury disks had the arbitration problem.
It is easily manifested in a 2 hard disk system.  If you have a 2 HDisk
system and do not have the problem and are running under UNIX/XENIX.  (DOS
doesn't count as it is a single-threaded OS.  Under DOS you would never
see the problem.)  Anyway, could you please post the firmware revision so that
others who have Newbury disks and do have the problem can get a hold of the
correct firmware.  Use SCSICNTL to get this information.  I will also add
it to the drive list I have on adaptex.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese
				uunet!swbatl!texbell!merch!adaptex!neese