Can I derive an inode # from an absolute sector #?

Steve Hite steve at hite386.UUCP
Thu Feb 22 05:08:22 AEST 1990

    I have 386/ix v2.0.2.  Recently, I had gotten an absolute sector read
error report.  I have called Interactive tech support about this in the past
and they couldn't tell me explicitly how to find out the inode # if there
is a disk error giving the absolute sector # as the problem spot on the hard
disk.  Can it be done?  How?   The style of error I got was this:

 ***Device Error: Sector not found
 ***Controller 0 Disk Drive 0 Absolute Sector #59364 ***

 Page 139 of the OS Guide gives this reason for the error:

   'You attempted to access a sector that does not exist'

    I assure you that this sector is alive and well on on my Unix partition.
I do have a Perstor card that is working fine (and giving me 130 megs off
of a 70 meg drive).  I know, "but Interactive doesn't support the Perstor
card..."...well, my Perstor doesn't know that :-).  What I think is happening
is that I'm getting a bad sector and the bad sector relocation scheme that
AT&T uses can't handle the auto relocation because it's a *Perstor card*
(ah, that's what they mean by not supporting it :-)).  Currently, I can just
add the absolute sector to the bad blocks list and then everything will work
fine...but I don't know what file got kablooied.

    What I was trying to do is get the inode # and then use 'find' to tell me
what file (if any) was currently using that inode...voila, I know what file
I'll have to replace after adding the sector to the bad blocks table.

    I think fsdb might work, but with a couple of man pages as my only guide
I'm not up for corrupting my file system. :-)

    Many thanks for your help!