Using UUCP under a BBS system???

Ken McVay kmcvay at oneb.UUCP
Tue Feb 20 10:27:56 AEST 1990

In article <LER1FK4xds13 at ficc.uu.net>, peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> Sure, there are a handful of interactive programs you have to hack, but
>
> Really, what's the problem?

The "problem" is that many of us (new to unix) folks neither know what, where,
or HOW to "hack," nor do we WANT to. And, if I may be so bold to make a
prediction, as more and more "illiterati" join the ranks of 386-owning, *IX-
running system administrators, the demand for hackless uucp-capable, news-
reading bulletin board systems will increase sharply....as will the desire
to provide them.

I'm delighted that you enjoy programming - we couldn't get along without
you - but I don't, and products that require me to do so won't fly.  This is
not to say that those who have worked so hard to provide the systems that DO
exist aren't appreciated - they are - but their systems never achieve full
potential on "no-hacker" systems, and never will. As hardware costs come
down, and o/s costs follow, the need for friendlier bbs software will
increase...hopefully it will one day reach the friendly functionality of
Opus, Fido, QBBS, RemoteAccess, PCBoard and RBBS-PC :-)

--
1B Systems Management Ltd. | 4B - 2520 Bowen Road, Nanaimo, B.C. V9T 3L3
Kenneth McVay  | Voice: 604-758-7414 | Envoy: ken.mcvay | RCSA: 89:681/1