Using UUCP under a BBS system???

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at NCoast.ORG
Sun Feb 18 08:13:55 AEST 1990

As quoted from <999 at fiver.UUCP> by palowoda at fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda):
+---------------
| First when attracting first time users to a bbs specially a UNIX bbs you
| want to make the editors very easy to use. And you want the editors to
| resemble what the more popular bbs in dos type world uses. Something
+---------------

Peter specifically mentioned *freeware* editors, *not* vi.  As far as editors
with automatic pop-up help menus, take a look at MicroEmacs sometime.  (Not
that I recommend dumping a novice into Emacs....)

+---------------
|   As for not createing an account for every user I tend to agree with
| the other sysops. Not so much as a security reason. But for the fact
| of system accounting. I would rather have the bbs program maintain itself
| and not use UNIX to do it. A database of user account info, paths termtypes
+---------------

Nobody said you had to turn on system accounting to use Unix user IDs; use the
same accounting methods you would with any other Unix BBS.

Way back when, I considered using Unix user names and giving each user his/her
own account; I rejected it because "login:" (and "Login incorrect") are rather
unfriendly... not to mention BSD-based systems and AT&T's 3B/2's which don't
accept what your typical user expects for a backspace (BSD systems I've used
demand DEL; 3B/2's want #.  (Yes, pound sign!  Welcome to the 90's, now go buy
an ASR33!  ;-)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery    allbery at NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
      uunet!cwjcc.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery at cwjcc.cwru.edu