Blindingly fast disk I/O

Richard Foulk richard at pegasus.com
Sat Feb 24 14:13:07 AEST 1990

In article <195 at zds-ux.UUCP> bjstaff at zds-ux.UUCP (Brad Staff) writes:
>I started this thread awhile back with the query about what SCSI and/or
>ESDI controllers and disks you all liked.  Since email responses seem to
>have stopped, it is time to summarize the responses.
>
>SCSI controllers
>================
>Adaptec AHA-1540A/1542A - I got some favorable comments.
>WD FASST - I got one favorable, one mixed, and one negative comment.
>Mylex - I got one "I've heard it's good" comment.

Well I finally got my Mylex DC376 SCSI controller working properly just
yesterday.  Took them months to get me a driver that worked.  It was
working in (slow, 16-bit) Western Digital emulation mode prior to that.

It is reasonably fast.  Mine has the minimum 1-meg of cache.  Here are
some timings using Wren-VI (700 meg) drives, running ISC 2.0.2:

	dd if=/dev/dsk/0s1 of=/dev/null bs=1k count=32768
	time: 2.3u 34.9s 0:24 154%

and with a 32-meg file:

	dd if=/tmp/junk of=/dev/null bs=1k count=32768
	time: 2.3u 41.7s 0:39 112%

Richard Foulk		richard at pegasus.com