386 based UNIX & 16mbps Token Ring/Novell???

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM
Wed Feb 28 03:25:49 AEST 1990

In article <22446 at abcom.ATT.COM> brr at abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) writes:
>	I have a question on similar lines?
>
>		Q:
>		Is is possibvle to have two Unix 386s connected over a token
>		ring network. What Unix should I use, and what
>			are the potential problems?

As far as I know the only 386 based Unix that comes with token-ring support
out of the box is AIX/PS2. Of course the unfortunate consequence of this is
that you must have PS/2's to get that support. In fact, given the growing
popularity of token-ring (particularly the 16Megabit version) I would think
there could be a reasonable market for third party device drivers. Anyone
out there interested??

>				Does ISC 2.2 TCP/IP and NFS work on Token-ring
>					networks?

I am virtually certain the answer to this is NO, since they do not provide
any such device driver. What I am not sure about, is if someone were to
write such a driver whether ISC's tcp/ip could be configured to use it or
would their code also have to be altered. In that case the driver writer
would have to work in coordination with ISC. Would someone at ISC fill us
in on this?? How about ISC themselves doing such a driver??

Disclaimer: These views are mine, not necessarily LCC or IBM's

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu