Problems with MS Bus Mouse and 386/ix X11

Doug Luecke doug at athens.iex.com
Sat Feb 24 10:05:09 AEST 1990

I'm trying to get X11 running on 386/ix on my AST 386, and I'm having a bear
of a time getting the mouse to work un 386/ix.  I'm using the ATI VGA Wonder
with the built-in Microsoft Bus Mouse.  I've also got a WD EtherCard Plus TP
board in there.  I'm using V2.02 of 386/ix and V1.0 of 386/ix X11.  The wierd
part about this is that if I just boot DOS without reconfiguring anything,
the mouse works fine.  But when I try to run xinit, I get:

Unable to open mouse device "/dev/mouse"
Fatal server error: Mouse-specific initialization failed.

And then when I hit DEL, xinit dumps core!

I coded up a quick C program to open the device and print out errno when it
fails, and I get errno=6 (ENXIO).  I suspect that the driver software is
having problems talking to the mouse board during the open.  I took the
defaults of IRQ5 and port addresses 23c-23f for the mouse when I installed X,
and I've got the WD card on IRQ3 and port addresses 280-29f.  There are no
conflicts for either the IRQ or the port addresses in my /etc/conf/cf.d/sdevice
file.  I've even gone so far as to disable my parallel and serial ports, but
to no avail.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Is this a known bug in the MS bus mouse
drivers shipped with X11, or what?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
doug
-----
Doug Luecke         |  {uunet,convex,attctc}!iex!doug
IEX Corp.           |  doug at iex.com
Plano, TX           |  voice:  (214) 612-2600