Kernel Size limitation on Interactive 386/ix

Michael Davidson md at sco.COM
Mon Feb 19 14:49:35 AEST 1990

cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>There is no real limit on the size of /unix (although I believe it must
>fit into the first 1023 cylinders of the disk :-) ) since release 3.2 (of
>which 2.0.2 is a derivative).

Actually there is a limit in the standard AT&T release 3.2 for the 386
- the kernel must not exceed 4 megabytes (the amount of memory that can be
mapped by one 386 page directory entry). While it is unlikely that
this is the problem, it is not impossible for a system with TCP/IP,
NFS and a very large buffer pool to exceed this size. (Please note,
this is a problem in the standard AT&T release - I have no idea whether
it exists in ISC's 2.0.2 release)