X on the 386

Terry Hull terry at tah386.manhattan.ks.us
Tue Feb 13 14:17:59 AEST 1990

sullivan at aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:

>I have some questions about running and developing X-windows on the 386.
>Since I am somewhat ignorant about 386 and X things, any help provided
>will be appreciated.

>How much memory should be loaded up to run X?
Minimum of 8 MB.  If you are going to run large applications, 12 MB
would be better.  I'm using Xsight from SCO, and 8 MB is tight at
times.  ;-(.

>Are there any alternatives to SCO and Interactive for X development/use
>on the 386?
Yes.  AT&T also has an X product.  The MIT distribution X11R4 libraries
are supposed to build under AT&T SysV R3.2, but you still have to have
a server.

>Are there any Open Look development packages available on the 386?
Not that I'm aware of.  SCO's stuff will be heavily slanted toward Motif.
>Which type of mouse is better:  bus or serial?
Serial, because you can put it on a multi-port board and not loose
a perfectly good interrupt for nothing but a mouse.

>Any multiport serial board recommendations/warning?
I use a dumb Digiboard 4-port board and it works fine.

>Respond via email.  Thanx.
I would have, but I thought others might be interested in the info.
--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University