AT&T unix V386 on Compaq hardware?

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Wed Feb 28 04:41:05 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb27.044606.14253 at csustan.CSUStan.Edu> robert at csustan.CSUStan.Edu (Robert Zeff) writes:
>I would like to install AT&T unix on my Compaq 386/20.  Does AT&T sell their
>unix for hardware other than AT&T?  I could use SCO unix, but I would like
>to use the same unix as we have at work, which is AT&T.

AT&T doesn't support placing thier unix on a non-AT&T box.  (It will work,
but they don't want to get into the headaches of umpteen million different
configurations and the little differences between them).

If you want pretty much pure AT&T stuff you can get ESIX, or Bell Tech (now
Intel) Unix.  Interactives Unix is the same kernel, with additional
performance modifications/additions.

I run interactive unix because of the much better X support and high
performance disk driver that was only available from interactive at the time
I bought my main system.