uucico timeout is too short

Chris Lewis clewis at eci386.uucp
Sat Feb 3 08:21:49 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan30.210321.19646 at antel.uucp> mike at antel.uucp (Michael Borza) writes:
> In article <1990Jan25.003421.8130 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> >While we are at it, I would like to see a mechanism that could be used to
> >indicate what is a failure.  For example following the dial sequence, if
> >the string "BUSY" is received, it should indicat an immediate failure.
> >I haven't yet thought out a good method for specifying it, but I would
> >like to have the functionality.

4.3 BSD UUCP has a facility by which you get to specify one token
to abort on in either in the L-devices chat script or the L.sys
expect-send stuff.

eg:
	machine Any ACU .... expect send ABORT BUSY expect send

You could trivially add this sort of thing to Xenix dial????.c programs.

> I've always preferred the way the devices file (L.devices?) in
> a PD dial from somebody
> on usenet.  In any event, the devices file basically encoded a state
> machine which was interpreted at runtime.  Each line consisted of
> an initial state followed by a list of trigger/state-transisition
> pairs.

A long time ago (84?) there was such a beast posted in net.sources
(this may even predate mod.sources).  Worked quite nicely, but I never
saw it integrated with UUCP or CU.  But it was really good for setting
up cron-directed remote dials and conversations/information retrievals -
especially to non-UNIX equipment.  (like dataswitch statistics gathering)
--
Chris Lewis, Elegant Communications Inc, {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis