SUMMARY: problem with find(1)

Brian Litzinger brian at apt.UUCP
Thu Jan 18 13:50:42 AEST 1990

I an earlier posting I asked for help with a problem I
was having with find(1).

The problem was find(1) would stop at a point through the
file system and report the same error from that point on.
The file system worked correctly in all aspects except for
the find(1) problem.

Several people responded that there must be something wrong
with the file system.

Along another discussion subject the cause of my problem was
identified.  This discussion was unrelated to my posting.

>In article <1990Jan16.204355.13792 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bronsard at m.cs.uiuc.edu.UUCP (Francois Bronsard) writes:
>>Now my question is : "How dangerous is it really?"
>
>It's very dangerous, because when you rmdir one of the links
>the other will no longer find . and .. entries in the directory.
>
>Don't do it.

[ 'it' refers to using /etc/link ]

I had used /etc/link to link a directory from one account to another.
The destination link has long since been erased, however, it broke the
'.' and '..' entries in that directory which broke find(1).

I have removed the other half of the /etc/link'ed directory and the
file system is all better.

Thanks for the help.

<>  Brian Litzinger @ APT Technology Inc., San Jose, CA
<>  UUCP:  {apple,sun,pyramid}!daver!apt!brian    brian at apt.UUCP
<>  VOICE: 408 370 9077      FAX: 408 370 9291