Will a Trailblazer+ Internal Modem work with 386/ix?

Bill Kennedy bill at inebriae.UUCP
Tue Jan 16 13:40:46 AEST 1990

In article <8 at newave.UUCP> john at newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) writes:

[ repeat of the interbal Trailblazer promotion ... ]

>Does anyone know if a Telebit Trailblazer+ internal
>modem card will work with Interactive 386/ix 2.0.2?

Absolutely!  This follow up will go out on an internal TB+, I've been
using it in inebriae for nearly a year.  There are some caveats, see
below.

>If so, what device does it install as, and what do
>you have to do to get it to work?  Are their any
>gottchas?

Mine's set for plain old COM2 and works just fine with the Jim Murray
driver or with the X5 update.  Here are the caveats...

The modem works absolutely best for outdials.  It can be made to work
with indials but you have to keep setting S0=1 for it to answer.  It
doesn't have NVRAM, so you can't (like an external TB+) give it one
personality, change that and have it come back on a DTR transition.
Before I put it in inebriae, I had it in my '286 luggable which was
outdial only.  As soon as this assignment is over, it goes into the
luggable again, though it has given yeoman service here.  One last
caveat.  I desoldered the 8250 ACE from the board and replaced it with
a socket and NS-16550A.  It's not for the faint of heart, but with the
stock Microport (luggable '286) device drivers I could not get 19,200bps
performance out of it.  The replacement of the part (only the part), I
got reliable uucp transfers at 19,200bps.  The Jim Murray driver handles
the NS-16550A and hardware handshake just fine.

If you're strapped for cash (who isn't), the internal TB+ is a very real
alternative to the more desirable external model.

--
Bill Kennedy    {texbell,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
                bill at ssbn.WLK.COM  or attmail!ssbn!bill