fp emulation

Norman Kohn nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Mon Jan 15 06:26:26 AEST 1990

In an earlier posting, I reported my trouble getting microport's
DOS MERGE kernel to do floating point arithmetic on a board without
fp processor.

Charles D'Englere cleverly suggested that the problem might be incorrect
reporting by the BIOS of the fp status of the board.

This was correct: the command
     patch -k /unix fp_kind 1
fixes this up nicely.  (Look up the fp driver in the documentation:
this is the flag that tells the fp driver what type of fp processor
is on board.)  ISC's driver has a variable of the same name, and
probably can take the same patch if you encounter similar difficulty.

Thanks, Charles!!
--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840