Streaming tape and 386/ix

Todd Ogasawara todd at uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu
Thu Jul 26 04:35:33 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul25.053046.12851 at chinet.chi.il.us> avi at chinet.chi.il.us (Avi Schwartz) writes:
>I saw a question some time ago about the same problem but haven't seen the
>answer:
>
>I am using an Adaptec 1542 scsi controller and a Wangtec 5150 ES tape drive.
>When writing to the drive I cannot get the tape to stream and it is extremely
>slow.  Is the problem with the kernel configuration or with the hardware?

The solution to my problem won't help you, unfortunately. I use a QIC-36
controller, not a SCSI. However, if anyone else out there has the same
problem I did, it turned out to be yet another case of RTFM(anualS)
*carefully*. Kambiz Reissedonna at Dell Computers UNIX Support pointed out
tactfully that I hadn't paid attention to both manuals. The Everex QIC-36
comes configured using IRQ 3. ISC UNIX 3.3 wants to use IRQ 5. So, all I
needed to do was open the case and change the molex plug setting this
morning. My Wangtek 150M drive seems to work ok now. Of course, it still
doesn't really stream when using tar. But it seems to work pretty well when
using dd or ddd ....todd
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd