Conflicting interrupts!

Darryl Richman darryl at ism780c.isc.com
Wed Jul 11 02:14:58 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul09.230948.6385 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
"In article <520 at al.ele.tue.nl> blitter at ele.tue.nl (Paul) writes:
">interrupt 7 for the tape. This means that I can use the tape now but
">not the printer. Apparently interrupt 5 is used by gendev, what is
">this device and can I remove that line from the configuration file
">for gendev.
"
"From what I can see, gendev is a "pseudo" device that eats up unused
"iterrupt numbers.  I have deleted these things with no repercussions.

The gendev device is the frontend for the HPDD, and it catches all
interrupts destined for devices controlled by the HPDD.  Apparently you
have not reconfigured your kernel using kconfig after installation.
The installation kernel comes with five different controllers
configured, and each one takes a fair amount of time during the boot
process to decide that their card doesn't exist.  (They each take up
some kernel space and, as you've noticed, interrupts as well.)  So it
behooves you to run kconfig and "reconfigure the HPDD" after
installing.  BTW, interrupt 5 is used for the MCA MFM and ESDI cards.

		--Darryl Richman
--
Copyright (c) 1990 Darryl Richman    The views expressed are the author's alone
darryl at ism780c.isc.com 		      INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.-A Kodak Company