passwd -d, dialups and anonymous UUCP. ==> SCO-UNIX

sys0001 at dircon.uucp sys0001 at dircon.uucp
Mon Jul 2 19:47:37 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun30.062117.15308 at fts1.uucp> michael at fts1.uucp (Michael Richardson) writes:
>In article <651 at mecky.UUCP> walter at mecky.UUCP (Walter Mecky) writes:
>>In article <1990Jun22.133240.14458 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>+ #CONSOLE=/dev/console
>>+ #PASSREQ=YES
>>+ ALTSHELL=YES
>
>  I can, btw, confirm, that this did the trick for me with interactive.
>I'm curious now -- what section of the manual did I NOT read that would
>have told me this?

To get the PASSREQ facility, you need a supplement called the "C2
Security Supplement". This adds several facilities, including:

* C2-related crash recovery
* Null password support
* New sysadm selections for checking password database consistancy
* Home directory management for accounts (I think this allows you to
  have more that one user with the same home dir)
* Ability for users to view their own audit records
* Extra crontab features
* ability of adding groups of Xenix users

It also corrects the following:

* adds goodpw(C)
* dialup password support
 and lots more

In the UK, this supplement is called: unx167. I don't know whether SCO
uses the same supplement names through the world.

>>Sorry, not in SCO-UNIX. When I login next, I'm asked for a password.
>>The only (obscure) thing possible with SCO-UNIX is a password of length
>>zero, e.m. you only have to press <enter> when you are asked for the
>>password.

The above supplement allows logins without passwords being requested.

Regards, Ben Knox
sys0001 at dircon.UUCP   or   sys0001%dircon at ukc.ac.uk