X11R4 for i386 Unix

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sun Jul 1 00:21:09 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun28.125600.24155 at brian386.uucp> news at brian386.uucp (News Administrator) writes:

>>Obviously I don't know it all.  Reportedly both SCO Xenix and SCO Unix
>>have this capability.  I just wish I had it on my system (how about it
>>Interactive?  When can we expect such a feature?).
>
>How about this idea??
>/etc/rc.d/errlogger
>	(stty 1200; cat "/dev/osm" > /dev/tty01) < /dev/tty01 &
>
>This seems to work pretty well and will run as long as your system does.  Plus
>you get a copy of all the start up messages (free mem, etc, what a DEAL ;-).
>Of course you need to have Operating System Messages configured in your
>kernel for this to work.

This only partially solves the problems.  Only messages to the console from
the kernel are available.  Application program messages (like cron, acct, or
other vendor-specific daemons) that are sent to /dev/console do not get
added to /dev/osm.

The true serial console also removes the requirement for a display card
and monitor for the system and allows the system to be remotely configured,
rebooted, etc.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170