Hard coded limits (was Re: LINK COUNT TABLE OVERFLOW)

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Thu Jul 19 09:47:10 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul18.075104.15655 at bbt.se> pgd at bbt.se (P.Garbha) writes:
>What i cannot figure out is what it would harm to give out the sources
>at all. What would it harm to give out the sources for fsck?

Disreguarding the fact that the source code is licensed by AT&T and you
gotta pay big bucks for it,

Just think for a second about the support headaches that would entail. When
the user calls up with a problem with fsck, how can you be sure that the
problem is caused by your version or his.  Even now, when sources aren't
delivered, there are many cases of bugs appearing that are not reproducible
at will on the support machine and therefore are almost impossible to
debug.

>It would help you, because someone else would make bug fixes, and
>maybe even enhance the program.  Why are they afraid of, when not
>giving out the sources?

Do you give out the source for all of your work?  I sure don't (although
I do give out some stuff, I still need to make a living).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170