the wonders of SCSI

Anthony Shipman als at bohra.cpg.oz
Mon Jun 4 21:21:35 AEST 1990

In article <7598 at tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, keithe at tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
> In article <1990May27.092900.828 at wolves.uucp> ggw at wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
> >SCSI Easy?!?!?!
> >
> >HA!
> >I'v just spent the evening and night tring to get a maxtor 330MB scsi up

> 	This Maxtor has been a royal pain in the ass!  The only thing that
> will reliably format it is the scsicntl program from adaptec: even the
> internal (BIOS) formatter can't create a reliably-writable disk!  (Symptom:

I run ISC 2.0.1 with a TMC881 controller and an XT4380S. The only problem I had
was getting the UNIX driver to go when I build my own kernel. For some
God-only-knows reason ISC only allow the TMC881 to be on IRQ5 whereas it is
supplied jumpered for IRQ13 and that's where I want it.

After much mucking about I figured out how to patch the space.c file to get
what I wanted.  Oddly enough the kernel on the boot disk worked perfectly with
the TMC881 on IRQ13!

I haven't had to format the Maxtor and it has been running fine.
Anthony Shipman                               ACSnet: als at bohra.cpg.oz.au
Computer Power Group
9th Flr, 616 St. Kilda Rd.,
St. Kilda, Melbourne, Australia