SVR3.2.2 on an EISA machine?

Ti Kan ti at altos86.Altos.COM
Fri Jun 1 09:01:07 AEST 1990

In article <1990May31.185133.21581 at maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> jxf at procyon.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) writes:
>My brother works for a company who is going to purchase a Compaq 486
>machine and wants to run UNIX on it.  He has talked with an AT&T
>reseller who claims that SVR3.2.2 won't run on an EISA machine, and
>that he will have to wait for 4.0.
>
>Is this true?

It is not strictly true, but none of the standard 386-PC UNIX (Interactive,
SCO, et, al.) are designed to take advantage of EISA.

I hate to be playing salesman for my company, but if you want UNIX
SVR3.2 on an EISA box, you should look into an Altos 486 System 5000.
It is a brand new EISA system with 486 CPU, and runs Altos' new UNIX
SVR3.2 which has been adapted to the 486 and EISA bus, yet it is
completely compatible with SCO UNIX Sys V 3.2.  This means it will run
any of the hundreds of off-the-shelf SCO UNIX compatible software
applications.  Full support is also available for local and wide area
networking, such as ISO/OSI, TCP/IP, Novell Netware, X.25, SNA, etc.
ODT is supported, which includes X windows, and X terminals can be
connected to the system via Ethernet.

The Altos 5000 has connectivity of up to 512 serial ports and 30 SCSI
hard disk drives of up to ~30GB total mass storage, in addition to
standard Ethernet port, mouse port, parallel port, and VGA-compatible
graphics card.  A SCSI cartridge tape drive comes standard, as is two
floppy disk drives (one 1.44MB 3.5" and one 1.2MB 5.25").  Exabyte 8mm
tape and 9-track drives can also be specified.  Maximum memory in the
5000 is now 64MB, but will soon be increased to 128MB.  The claimed
maximum number of users supported on a single system is a whopping 200.

It is really a pretty hot performer.  Check it out in the next issue of
_UNIX World_ in which the Altos 5000 will be reviewed.  I don't think
anyone comes close in price/performance.

-Ti
--
Ti Kan                                                                  \\\
vorsprung durch technik!                                                 \\\