SysV3.2 doesn't know Postscipt!!!!! Idiots!

Ray Shwake shwake at raysnec.UUCP
Thu Jun 7 02:09:20 AEST 1990

In article <sean.644531308 at s.ms.uky.edu> sean at ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>Are the AT&T people stupid, or what? Did they think no one was ever going
>to use postscript? What shortsightedness. What a *pain*.

I personally find it amazing that the typical UNIX document processing
package supports such an atypical collection of printers. Like, really,
how many of your colleagues count a a C/A/T or Imagen photo typesetter
in their installations. Yet any good DOS-based word processor from Word
Perfect, Microsoft, Lyrix, et. al. will support myriad collections of
dot-matrix, ink jet, Postscript, HP-compatible, etc. printers.

Myself, I keep nroff around to handle man pages, but for more serious
documents I have to change environments to you-know-what. Yes, Interleaf
and Frame Maker are powerful packages, but resource- and license-wise,
how many of us can afford them?