Which SCSI disk and tape drives for Xenix/UNIX

Michael Killermann micha at gopnbg.gopas.sub.org
Thu Jun 7 10:02:48 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun5.113359.26250 at dircon.uucp> sys0001 at dircon.uucp () writes:
>We're looking at SCSI drives (to run with the Adaptec 1542B SCSI controller
>under SCO Xenix 386 GT). We heard that the quality of the Wren series has
>suffered since it has been made by Seagate. Is there any truth in this?

We are using (or used) the CDC Wren 190 MB HH, 340 MB FH and 630 MB FH SCSI,
also we have the Maxtor 4380 (340 MB net) and new, the Conner CP 3200.

The CDC 630 MB is very fast (but the WREN Runner is faster !). We have no
quality-problems since seagate buy's CDC.
The MAXTOR is a little bit slow (for today 28 mS is not the best).
But the nicest HD is the Conner. It is so quite that you mean the Disk is
defect (we use it also in our MAC CI). The Conner are only in 40/104/209 MB
avaiable but take two and you have a very, very fast SCSI-System that works
with every OS (we have SCO Xenix GT, SCO UNIX, SCO ODT and Interactive 386/ix
with the Adaptec 1542A+B).

The speed under Xenix GT is very bad under SCO UNIX/ODT good and with 386/ix
very fast (faster than SCO !!!).

I hope this help

Micha