Cannot umount /usr filesystem (ALWAYS "busy")

Ron Kuris ron at rdk386.uucp
Fri Jun 15 09:29:35 AEST 1990

In article <267 at jorel.UUCP> jmcook at jorel.UUCP (joel m. cook) writes:
>Thanks for any pointers in the right direction!
Lets start with that first -- don't put "Followup-To: poster"!

>For the past few weeks I have been unable to take the system into
>single user mode (telinit s or telinit 1)
>or even to shutdown without scragging /usr because when the attempt is made
>by either the system or I to unmount it,
>it's always "busy".
> [...]

You can use crash if you have it to examine the open file table.  This
is basically what umount does (I think).  Look for files with the dev/inum
pair on the device that you are trying to unmount.
--
...!pyramid!unify!rdk386!ron -or- ...!ames!pacbell!sactoh0!siva!rdk386!ron
It's not how many mistakes you make, its how quickly you recover from them.