Did you know SCO ODT is SINGLE USER ONLY??

Daniel Wynalda danielw at wyn386.mi.org
Fri Jun 15 04:53:44 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun14.122218.18258 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>It is common to have a 1-2 user license, but for most of the other products
>it means that at most 2 peopl can log into the system at the same time
>reguardless of the number of gettys.

Yes.  This is the same reason I haven't purchased it.  However, one thing
I might have been tempted to do is this:  NOT even USE SCO's getty. Has
anybody ported uugetty over to SCO ODT?  If so, then you could run as many
getty's as you want... -- I suppose this might border on abusing the
license you purchased but you aren't using anything SCO sold you to do it.?!.

>>Why is this such a problem unless you're planning to run a bboard
>>or set up a department machine?

This is EXACTLY the problem.  I would like to TWO login lines I have
at home to be available when I am NOT at home.  This way I can check
mail etc and NO ONE will be on the console.

I guess I'm just trying to use a commercial venture for a hobby.  SCO
has just begun to get too high priced for the user who wants to run it
at home.... (It costs 3 TIMES what my hardware (386/20) did to get
the system with dev sys etc.!)  In my opinion, for the way I use Unix,
ODT is useless without compilers and libraries...

One last thing.  While I realize that SCO's main market is NOT the home
user, I refuse to run a different operating system at home than I do at
work.  I requires TWICE the porting time to get the software I want to run
working.  Since I already purchased my two copies of Xenix, and they
were BOTH unlimited user for ~$1000 with DEV SYS, I think I will stick with
it.   - After all I have gcc, gas, gawk, gnuplot, TeX, smail, elm,
news, and TONS more installed on Xenix now.  I rarely interact with the
SCO product anyhow.  For some reason the Xwindows option doesn't seem worth
$3000.00 to replace each system (properly).

--
Daniel Wynalda       | (616) 866-1561 X22 Ham:N8KUD Net:danielw at wyn386.mi.org
Wynalda Litho Inc.   | 8221 Graphic Industrial Pk. | Rockford, MI  49341