Dial-in+Dial-out on same physical TTY with ISC 386/ix V3.2.0.2 X6

Gary Coffman gary at ke4zv.UUCP
Sat Jun 16 00:10:52 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun14.151703.18918 at persoft.com> dag at persoft.com (Daniel A. Glasser) writes:
>We are running Interactive Unix SysVr3.2.0.2 with the (applicable) update
>diskettes through X7 applied on an Everex 386/25 with 4 megabytes RAM, etc...
>and two standard serial ports (DOS COM1 and COM2).  We use /dev/acu0 for
>dial out (uucico, cu, and kermit) and /dev/ttyd0 has a getty set up on it,
>as recommended in the X6 (asy driver fix) update kit documentation.
>
>When we use kermit to access /dev/acu0 and dial out to a remote site,
>when the remote site hangs up the system will not send characters to the modem
>until the line has been closed and reopened by the local system (either leave
>kermit or issue the hangup command to it, then reconnect).  This same behavior
>is exhibited by getty on /dev/ttyd0 when a login attempt fails;  getty will
>not send characters out to the line until either a dial out attempt is made
>through /dev/asy0, the modem is power cycled, or the getty is killed (which
>closes the semi-opened /dev/ttyd0), which means that the modem will answer
>the phone but nobody can log in.
>
>Has anybody else seen this behavior?  Has anybody solved the problem?
>If so, how?

Check your modem setup. Your modem should assert CTS and DSR always and
should assert DCD only when a carrier is present. getty monitors DCD and
will release the line when it is false. If your modem is toggling CTS or
DSR when carrier is lost, you will get the behavior you describe. Your
modem should honor DTR and reset itself to stored parameters when DTR
is dropped. This way you can store your modem parameters for incoming
calls and then use your Dialers entry to set any
parameters you need different for making outgoing calls. When the
call terminates your modem will be reset to incoming state. getty
can get into a pathological state if you have your modem set to
echo in command mode. You will get a getty respawning too rapidly
message if this happens. So make sure your stored parameters say
echo off. You can turn it back on in your Dialers script for call
progress monitoring if you like.

Gary