ISC 2.2 Installation Troubles

brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 27 23:56:00 AEST 1990

Well if there was a place to send a vote on the net, I would be voting...

Yes, I too have had the same problems you describe. I do have the luxury of
being able to install 2.2 on an RLL, ESDI, and SCSI system. Everything seems
to *INSTALL* correctly on the RLL and ESDI systems, but as for the SCSI,
forget it. I have the Adaptec 154* SCSI controller on a 25MHz AMI motherboard
with 8mb standard video card, etc. I first tried removing all other cards
in the machine as well as all other SCSI peripherials except for the 330mb HP
drive. Nothing seemed to work. I even took the 338mb ESDI drive and Adaptec
controller out of one of the other machines, installed it into the 25MHz
machine in question. All seemed to run fine, so I installed the SCSI
controller with an Archive 2150 tape drive ONLY, and rebuilt the kernel to
include the tape drive. Well, that wouldn't even get past the

Booting the UNIX system....

prompt. All three systems worked fine with 2.0.2, so I re-installed this
system on the SCSI computer, and tried to get both the ESDI and SCSI drives
to work concurrently. With 2.0.2 and both controllers, it wouldn't work
either. But (an even more interesting note) if you install 2.0.2 on the ESDI
drive (by itself) and then on the SCSI drive (by itself), it seems to load
the boot code from the ESDI drive and then continue the boot from the SCSI
drive!!!!

So, my conclusion is that all should not worry as I did. I kept thinking that
it was me doing something wrong, or that my hardware was the problem. I think
from all of the swapping and re-installing I can definitely say that
interactive is problem in my case. In the most general sense, 2.2 **SHOULD**
have worked right out of the box on my SCSI only system since 2.0.2 did. I
have to believe that Interactive NEVER tried their system out on an Adaptec
SCSI card, because it obviously wouldn't have even booted!! How would the
user screw up the installation when it doesn't even proceed past the boot
point?

I called Interactive several times, and a very helpful Tech support guy named
david was very patient in to listening to all the problems I had, and writing
them down. I DO believe Interactive will fix the problem.......i hope.....

Brando

|  Brandon Brown                     | Internet: brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu    |
|  Coordinated Science Laboratory    | UUCP:	 uiucuxc!addamax!brando!brown |
|  University of Illinois            | CompuServe: 73040,447                  |
|  Urbana, IL  61801                 | GEnie:    macbrando                    |