Unix/386 lint -- how good?

Walter Mecky walter at mecky.UUCP
Fri Jun 1 10:50:59 AEST 1990

In article <2662C59D.3C5A at tct.uucp> chip at tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
+ I am currrently a user of SCO Xenix/386.  However, I expect that I
+ will soon be moving to SCO Unix or perhaps another brand of Unix/386.
+
+ The C safety-check program "lint" that is part of the Xenix/386
+ development system is, well, poor.  It gets confused about structure
+ definitions, it doesn't understand function prototypes (!), etc.
+ []
+ So, my question: How good is the lint provided with modern versions of
+ Unix/386?  Specifically, can it deal with prototypes?  Please send
+ E-Mail or post a followup article, as you feel appropriate.

If you mean SCO UNIX when you say Unix/386, you can stay to XENIX:
lint seems to be the same as in XENIX: no prototype (==> syntax error),
confused about structure adresses too.
--
Walter Mecky