FLAME ABOUT COMMERCIALS IN EMAIL [Books Account: Technical books]

Jeffrey J. Hallman m1jjh00 at fed.frb.gov
Thu Jun 7 06:41:52 AEST 1990

In article <9006051701.aa28475 at PARIS.ICS.UCI.EDU> baxter at robespierre.ICS.UCI.EDU (Ira Baxter) writes:

>  I DO NOT THINK WE SHOULD ENCOURAGE COMMERCIALS IN NEWSGROUPS.
>   ... told of email Ira received offering to send (also by email)
>   notices of new technical books.
>  DON'T RESPOND POSITIVELY TO THIS UNLESS YOU WANT NEWSGROUPS EVENTUALLY
>  BURIED UNDER SUCH COMMERCIAL REQUESTS.

I don't see the problem here.  I also received this message and I
responded positively to it.  The marketroid at least had the grace to
make his offer by email rather than posting it, and he did indicate
that only those who ask will receive the messages.  So how is this
"burying the newsgroup"?  I think it's more like junk mail, which you
can always just throw away.