/dev/dsk/0p0 -> vp/ix (was Re: DOS Norton NCD under VP/ix causes panic)

Martin Weitzel martin at mwtech.UUCP
Sat Jun 2 06:50:43 AEST 1990

In article <1990May31.165403.4270 at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>In article <505 at al.ele.tue.nl> raymond at ele.tue.nl (Raymond Nijssen) writes:

[about crashing unix thru disk accesses from vp/ix]

>However, there is another approach you might try.  The way you are getting
>from vp/ix to the DOS disk is extremely convoluted: first Unix is simulating
>Unix files on top of the DOS file system, then vp/ix is using simulated remote
>networked DOS files on top of the simulated Unix files on the DOS file system.
>vp/ix, being DOS after all, can get to the DOS file system directly.  Unmount
>the /dos partition and add to your vpix.cnf file a line like
>
>D		/dev/dsk/0p0

Well, if I hear that some DOS *application* can crash my UNIX thru vp/ix,
I feel *very* reluctant to give access to my complete harddisk (and to
this does "/dev/dsk/0p0" refer) to vp/ix.

Related question: What about security issues? Again I feel very
reluctant to expose "/dev/dsk/0p0" to some untrusted program.

(Well I admit, I'm a little biased against DOS and vp/ix belongs
into this category, though I have it installed here.)
--
Martin Weitzel, email: martin at mwtech.UUCP, voice: 49-(0)6151-6 56 83