Tape backup performance on 386 ISA/EISA systems

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Jun 4 11:53:57 AEST 1990

In article <1990May31.155113.8383 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

| But now we've come full circle...if disk fragmentation makes the backup go
| slower, so you want to run an optimizer that rearranges things, but you
| want to be careful, so you do a backup first...
|
| (Yeah, I know, the de-fragmenting does good for a lot more than just the
| backup.:-)

  See other post... I do an incremental or physical backup of the raw
partition first.

| A better approach is to use a file system that doesn't have as much
| tendency to fragment...sorry for the obvious plug.

  Why is someone from ISC plugging BSD? You're right of course.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX