SysV3.2 doesn't know Postscipt. So what.

Scott E. Garfinkle dacseg at uts.amdahl.com
Fri Jun 8 02:48:19 AEST 1990

>From article <51 at raysnec.UUCP>, by shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake):
> In article <sean.644531308 at s.ms.uky.edu> sean at ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>>Are the AT&T people stupid, or what? Did they think no one was ever going
>>to use postscript? What shortsightedness. What a *pain*.

I think it is foolish to say this.  Troff has been around since (at least)
Version 6 Unix.  When it came out, the dominant phototypesetter around (at
least at Bell Labs, I think) was the C/A/T.  Eventually, with ditroff, it
became possible to put other back ends on troff.  I think that the Labs
replaced their C/A/T phototypesetters with Imagens.  (They were replaced
with *something* -- I remember when they gave our department a surplus
C/A/T my senior year.)

Since AT&T doesn't even support DWB anymore, I can hardly fault them.  If
you want a free typesetting package get TeX.  If you want troff, get Elan
or a competitor.

> I personally find it amazing that the typical UNIX document processing
> package supports such an atypical collection of printers. Like, really,
> how many of your colleagues count a a C/A/T or Imagen photo typesetter
> in their installations. Yet any good DOS-based word processor from Word
> Perfect, Microsoft, Lyrix, et. al. will support myriad collections of
> dot-matrix, ink jet, Postscript, HP-compatible, etc. printers.

So get MS Word for Unix from SCO.  I'm curious where you got DWB for your 386;
I thought the only way to get n/troff for the 386 was from Elan, et al., who
all include postscript drivers.  Alternatively, get vp/ix and run your favorite
DOS package under it.  I use MS Word.

	-scott e. garfinkle
	 email to segpc!seg at vicom.com