ISC 386/ix v2.2

Dr. T. Andrews tanner at cdis-1.compu.com
Sat Jun 30 05:19:19 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun27.001120.305 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
) BTW - this is the same mechanism used by SCO on all of their products,
) although you only need 1 number to install interactive including the
) development system, while SCO requires one for each system subset.
Yes, SCO uses a serial number/activation key entry as part of their
install.  For safety, I have the number marked on each disk, as well
as on the box.  I don't know where the original slip of paper with
the numbers is, but I don't care.

The pernicious practice of requiring serial number/activation keys
actually accomplishes nothing: anyone that would install the disks
on two systems instead of one will not be deterred because he must
enter the number twice.

However, the practice is harmful to the legitimate users.  When a
program is clobbered, or I decide at a later date to install a file
from the disks, I must again re-enter serial number and activiation
key, or things may not work.  It helps to know the name of the
program which converts the files into a usable form, as well as
the arguments which it accepts.

I should be pleased to hear from any vendors who might justify this
practice which, while failing to thwart illegitimate use, hurts the
legitimate users.
--
uflorida!ki4pv!cdis-1!tanner {uunet dsinc}!cdin-1!cdis-1!tanner