Xenix vs. UNIX

Ron Kuris ron at rdk386.uucp
Fri Jun 29 17:01:19 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun27.232700.3046 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>One of the big problems xenix has is in porting stuff from other UNIX systems
>to it.  The xenix compiler has alot of problems with large source files,
>complicated #define macros, etc.  I am speaking from experience when I
>tried to port an office automation package to Xenix 2.2.? and ran into
>several brick walls, while the port to System V.3 (Bell Tech) of the same
>product just took around 4 days (it was 29MB of source).
>
>Going the other way should be much easier (which is obvious from your
>posting).
>
>SCO UNIX (with its inclusion of the standard AT&T compiler) should alleviate
>many of these problems.

Why not just use gcc and not worry about the abnormalities of the "standard"
compiler provided with Xenix?  I agree its broken, but the compiler doesn't
make the entire system unusable, especially when there are alternatives...
--
...!pyramid!unify!rdk386!ron -or- ...!ames!pacbell!sactoh0!siva!rdk386!ron
It's not how many mistakes you make, its how quickly you recover from them.