Unix on a T5200?

Colonel Panic aland at infmx.UUCP
Tue Jun 12 14:30:37 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun11.023538.7101 at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>I am looking for a Unix system that I can take with me on trips, so as not to
>lose a moment's hacking time merely because I happen to be on top of some
>mountain with spectacular views or something.

Uh, below you say you don't want it battery-powered.  Stick to mountains
with spectacular views *and* A.C. outlets...   :-]

>Here are what I think I need:

You may want to take a look at the better "lunchbox" machines.
For example, the Dolch PAC 386-25C:

>386DX, 20 MHz or better, 387 would be nice if I run X

25 MHz.  20 MHz is also an option, as is a 486

>4MB RAM, probably expandable at least to 8 MB

2 MB base, expandable to 8  (486, to 16)

>at least a 100 MB Disk

can get 100 or 200 MB disk on all models

>decent screen, preferably VGA or better to run X

both have plasma VGA screens

>modem, the faster the better, though I suppose I could plug in an external
>	Telebit T1000

indeed.  or, use a card modem; these things have 3-4 16-bit slots

>ethernet, to get stuff in and out

put a standard network card into one of the slots.  the WD8003E is only
a few ounces...

>5.25" floppy would be nice, 3.5" is OK (most Unix softare seems to come on
>	5.25" disks.)

either, or both

>runs 386/ix, since that's the Unix I've got

they claim UNIX compatibility; I don't have a current ISC compatibility
list...

>Running on batteries is unimportant, when I'm on a plane I sleep.  The Toshiba

The Dolch *can* run from a heavy battery for a short period of time,
but it's no picnic.  If you need battery freedom with any frequency,
go with Toshiba or Zenith.

>T5200 appears to qualify nicely on every point except perhaps the last.  (It

Plus, they are pricier and less durable...

>has one long and one short internal slot, enough for an internal Telebit modem
>and an Ethernet card.)  Has anyone actually run 386/ix or some other Unix on

MAYBE.  I've seen the slot access, and it's a mighty tight fit...
If you want to put something hunky like a ports card in there,
good luck.

>one?  Is there some other machine I should be considering?  A lunchbox machine
>like the Compaq Portable 386 would be a possibility, though the Compaq is
>pretty expensive and its expansion memory is unbelievably expensive.

One of many reasons why I loathe Compaq...

>Thanks, as always, in advance
>--
>John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650

I don't actually have a Dolch; I'm just using them as an example.
I've heard only good things about their equipment, and we had one
here for awhile.  They seem to be pretty well thought-out for their
market.  They are located in San Jose, phone # (800) 538-7506 outside
of CA, (800) 223-2077 within.

I have no interest in Dolch except as a satisfied non-customer.   [-:

--
Alan Denney # Informix # aland at informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "She makes champagne out of 7-Up and cheap wine -- a Chemist."
                                   "Earth to Doris",   Was (Not Was)