ISC 386/ix NFS & TCP/IP problem

Rob Zomerdijk rzo at media01.UUCP
Fri Jun 1 02:04:17 AEST 1990

Hello again,

Our firm, Mediasystemen BV in Holland, has recently purchased an
Interactive package. The package included:

- 386/ix Operating System v2.0.2,
- 386/ix TCP/IP v1.1.2,
- 386/ix NFS v2.0

Lately we've been having some problems with the network software.  We do
not know whether this is due to the TCP/IP or NFS software. So far none
of the technical support departments of Interactive dealers have been
able to help us.

Description of the problem:

We have the Interactive software installed on an AT386 33Mhz computer
(say computer A) with a 3COM 3C503 Etherlink II network board.  The AT
is linked in a (thick) Ethernet network with another AT386 (say computer
B) configured in the same way.  The harddisc of both ATs has 1 partition
only, a Unix partition.  There is also only 1 combined "root/usr"
filesystem which is exported.  The filesystem of computer A is remotely
mounted on comuter B and vice versa.  Now for some reason, at arbitrary
moments, the network software fails when performing an action on the
remote filesystem.  We get an error message like :

NFS getattr failed for server media01: PROG VERS MISMATCH

where "media01" is the name of the remote system.

Sometimes the message is different depending on the action performed
(eg. RPC: PRG VERS MISMATCH).
However the last part "PROG VERS MISMATCH" is always present.

The only information we have received is the following:

Quote:

"
This version number identifies the type of service and it is
necessary that this version number be 'registered' with the RPC
layer prior to any calls being made. All our NFS based utilities
run with a version number of 2.

The error you reported could be due to the following:

a) A process attempting RPC calls without first registering
   the version number

b) Possible frame errors not being detected (RPC uses the UDP
   protocol) due to some network problems

c) Other NFS hosts in the net which are not Interactive based
   causing problems (this is usually very unlikely)

This error should not bring NFS down. You can obtain further
diagnostics by using the rpcinfo -p [host] command.
"

End Quote

Point c) could not be the problem since both systems in the network are
Interactive based. We do have an application of our own running on the
Interactive System, but it only uses network facilities on NFS level (no
specific RPC calls). In fact it only consists of a number of Bourne
shell scripts.

When the problem occurred, we did the "rpcinfo -p" command with the following
results :

   program vers proto   port
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100005    1   udp   1027  mountd
    100017    1   tcp   1024  rexd
    100024    1   udp   1035  status
    100024    1   tcp   1025  status
    150001    1   udp   1038  pcnfsd

  "rpcinfo -u" had the following results for:

100003:

    RPC: Program/version mismatch
    program 100003 version 1 is not available

100005:

    program 100005 version 1 ready and waiting

1000017:
    RPC: Program not registered
    program 100017 version 1 is not available

100024:
    program 100024 version 1 ready and waiting

150001:
    program 150001 version 1 ready and waiting

Any comment, hints or SOLUTION would be greatly appreciated.
We also like to know whether anyone else has the same problem.

Thanx in advance...

Micle and Rob

| Rob Zomerdijk   | EMAIL: rzo at media01.UUCP      |      ____ _____   ______  |
| Mediasystemen   |        ...!hp4nl!media01!rzo |     /   /    _/  /     /  |
| Postbox 4932    |                              |    /___/   _/   /     /   |
| 2003 EX Haarlem | VOICE: + 31-23-319075        |   / \    _/    /     /    |
| The Netherlands | FAX  : + 31-23-315210        |  /   \  /____ /_____/     |