Dial-in+Dial-out on same physical TTY with ISC 386/ix V3.2.0.2 X6

Daniel A. Glasser dag at persoft.com
Fri Jun 15 01:17:03 AEST 1990

We are running Interactive Unix SysVr3.2.0.2 with the (applicable) update
diskettes through X7 applied on an Everex 386/25 with 4 megabytes RAM, etc...
and two standard serial ports (DOS COM1 and COM2).  We use /dev/acu0 for
dial out (uucico, cu, and kermit) and /dev/ttyd0 has a getty set up on it,
as recommended in the X6 (asy driver fix) update kit documentation.

When we use kermit to access /dev/acu0 and dial out to a remote site,
when the remote site hangs up the system will not send characters to the modem
until the line has been closed and reopened by the local system (either leave
kermit or issue the hangup command to it, then reconnect).  This same behavior
is exhibited by getty on /dev/ttyd0 when a login attempt fails;  getty will
not send characters out to the line until either a dial out attempt is made
through /dev/asy0, the modem is power cycled, or the getty is killed (which
closes the semi-opened /dev/ttyd0), which means that the modem will answer
the phone but nobody can log in.

Has anybody else seen this behavior?  Has anybody solved the problem?
If so, how?

					Thanks for "listening",
							Daniel A. Glasser

--
  Daniel A. Glasser  |  Persoft, Inc.  |  dag at persoft.com (if it works yet)
  "Their brains were small, and they died."