Interesting ISC Support Policy

Gary Heston gary at sci34hub.UUCP
Thu Jun 28 00:01:44 AEST 1990

In article <2661 at uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin at primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <106 at thor>, by scjones at thor (Larry Jones):
>| A while back, my group purchased four copies of 386/ix to replace
>| the orphaned Microport and Bell Technologies systems we had been
>| [ .... ]
>| some problems and called Interactive to help resolve them.  The
>| person I talked to informed me that ISC support policy is 60 days
>| from the date of your company's first purchase.  Since someone
                                   ^^^^^
>| had purchased something from them a year ago, we were not
>| entitled to any support without buying a support contract.

>| It seems to me that the only reasonable policy is to provide
>| installation support for each and every purchase.  Am I the only
>| one that feels this way?
>
>  [ ... ]  You evidently waited a year before
>installing your purchase (if I read the first paragraph correctly).  You

No, he didn't wait a year... I think someone at ISC got their wires
crossed, or lost a few inodes...

The situation Larry describes is that: A year ago, someone over in
the Blivit Department bought something from ISC. Then this year,
Larry, who's in the Widget Department, bought four copies of
386/ix to upgrade the Widget Dept. systems. Upon calling ISC with
a question about his new packages, the ISC rep is claiming that
the Blivit Departments' purchase blocks Larry from any support.

This is like a car dealer saying that since you bought a car from
them in '75, they don't have to honor the warranty on your new '90
model.

I would find it hard to believe that this is what ISC really
meant; I hope that their support person misinterpreted the
policy. Based on the reported treatment of some of our eval
people by ISCs' support people, I'm suprised Larry got any
help, with that policy statement.

Any one package purchase should entail support, for that package,
for a specified period (be it 30, 60, or 90 days). ISC should
support him....

Heck, I got a call from a guy last week that bought one of our
systems about 6 years ago, who was having some hard drive
problems. I've talked to him a couple of times, and answered
his questions. I'd like for him to buy more equipment from
us, and keep me employed....

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)