Trouble in stalling ISC 2.2 with multiple SCSI drives.

Paul Guthrie pdg at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Jun 30 01:09:47 AEST 1990

Well, I was trying to install Interactive Unix 2.2 on my system,
and ran into a problem.  I hooked up a new SCSI drive as the boot
drive (SCSI ID 0) and had my old drive as ID 1 (tape is ID 2).
The cable I am using is a 4 connector SCSI 50 pin internal
cable going from the host adaptor to drive 0 to drive 1 which
is properly terminated.  The tape is on another (external) bus.
Anyway, the host adaptor (Adaptec 1542A) hangs on one of the first
disk accesses.  I tried hooking up the new drive as the only drive
(changing terminations) and it installed OK, but after that and
rebuilding the kernel to make sure, on going back to the two
drive configuration, I still get hangs.  Anyway, to make
a long story short, can you use a 4 connector SCSI cable with
3 devices (host adaptor, 2 disks), leaving one of the middle
connections loose.  I know this works for ST506, ESDI and floppies,
but SCSI has it's own specs.  Any other suggestions?  Also could there
be some sort of conflict between the drives?  I am running a
Fujitsu M2263SA as drive 0 and a HP 9754XS as drive 1.  I also
have parity checking disabled.  Would enabling this help?
--
Paul Guthrie
chinet!nsacray!paul or pdg at balr.com or attmail!balr!pdg