UNIX and IDE interface?

Randy Davis root at ninja.dell.com
Fri Jun 1 05:03:37 AEST 1990

In article <2284 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:

|  Has anyone ever run Xenix or UNIX on a system with a IDE disk? I can't
|seem to get an answer from anyone who's done it, and "it should work"
|from a vendor dosn't fill me with confidence.

    Dell UNIX (derived from ISC UNIX with added enhancements, in turn derived
from AT&T System V Release 3.2) works fine with IDE drives.  In fact, more
than one of the 386 systems comes with an IDE interface built into the
motherboard.  Dell fully supports IDE drives with UNIX on their systems.

|  I'm looking to put together a very low cost UNIX system, in quantity,
|and if I use an IDE interface I think I can do it for <$3k complete,
|including software, display, and ethernet. With one per person
|performance should not be an issue.

  Performance is fine even with more than one person.  Go for it (depending
on your flavor of UNIX)...

Randy Davis					UUCP: rjd at ninja.dell.com