windowing debugger

Williams, Greg gw18 at prism.gatech.EDU
Wed Jun 6 22:46:42 AEST 1990

In <393 at psitech.UUCP> bob%psitech at uunet.uu.net (Bob Posert) writes:

>I'm looking for a windowing source level debugger for Dell(ISC) Unix
>on the i386, based on the X window system; something like turbo C's
>integrated debugger or sun's dbxtool.
>Also, there are sources for xdbx and dbx on uunet.  But, porting
>would be an effort:
>	xdbx is written for X11R3.
>		Has anyone ported it to R4?  Is this even
>		an issue?

I haven't had a whole lot of success getting xdbx to work under X11R4 on a
SPARCstation 1.  It compiled easily enough, but when I run it, I frequently
get "unable to do malloc" or something like that.  I haven't dug into the
code to figure out what's wrong because I don't have the time, and I can
just use dbxtool (though not from X).

>	dbx needs to know lots of details about the activation
>	stack frame, 386 opcodes, etc.  Has anyone done this for
>	ISC Unix?

ISC is SYS V and dbx is berkeley.  It would be a major port to get dbx to work
on SYS V.  You would be better off getting gdb (Gnu Debugger) and using it.
It has a similar command format to dbx, and it works on ISC Unix.  The
distribution also includes and xgdb, but the README says it was written for
X11R2 and is not completely debugged.  I haven't tried compiling it or using
it under X11R4 on my 386.  I do know that gdb work, and it is MUCH better
than sdb.  Looking at the docs, I'd say it was equivalent to dbx, possibly
a little better.

--
Greg Williams
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gw18
Internet: gw18 at prism.gatech.edu