386/ix Upgrade to 2.2. info

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sun Jun 17 22:40:11 AEST 1990

I just upgraded my 386/ix 2.0.2 system to Interactive Unix 2.2 and
had a few problems that I thought I would share with the net:

	NOTE: I have only had the system up for a day and still have yet to
	read the mountains of documentation, so some of what I say may be
	documented somewhere, but it is not in any of the release notes that
	I found.

	1. If you are upgrading to one of the workstation packages, you will
	not get a new X11.  You must use the existing X11 (should be at release
	1.1) that you already have.  If you are not at X11 1.1, they will
	happily take a few extra bucks to upgrade your X11 as a separate
	upgrade.

	2. The new system is larger than the old stuff  because of several
	new packages).  If you are like me (i.e.: you load the entire system)
	the workstation developer setup now takes up a full 56MB.  My old
	system had a 49MB combined root/usr and I thought I would need some
	extra space, so I repartitioned the disk to have 56MB (just a number
	I picked out of a hat, I didn't read it anywhere in the docs).  When
	my installation completed I hade a total of something like 470 blocks
	so I couldn't even compile a new kernel.

	3. The on-line manual pages are installed from a series of cpio
	files and if you select the removepkg option to delete the manuals,
	all that gets deleted is the cpio files, not the manual pages
	themselves.  This is a two part problem:

		1st: when the manuals are installed, the cpio files should
			be removed

		2nd: when you run removepkg to delete the manuals it should
			delete the zillions of manual page entries in
			/usr/catman/[up]_man

	If you want to remove the manual pages (and I did, since I needed the
	space to be able to build a kernel) you have to:

		cd /usr/catman
		rm -rf [up]_man	 (always be very careful when -r is involved)

	4. They changed the startup status of the keyboard so that now it
	starts up in <NUM-LOCK> mode so the del key gets you a "." instead
	of killing the process (ultil you realize what is going on and
	hit the numlock key or use the <Delete> key).

	5. Ftp now defaults to non-binary mode.  So that a transfer that
	I used to save a backup copy of my login directory on another
	machine without setting any special arguments still succeeds, but
	does not transfer the file correctly.  Setting binary once the
	ftp connection is established fixes this.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170