xedit Problem

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Wed Jun 13 11:37:40 AEST 1990

In article <30700 at cup.portal.com> Jerome_V_Vollborn at cup.portal.com writes:

>	I have just installed Interactive Version 2.2 (this is a new
>site) and am having a problem with xedit.  When I try to load a large
>C file (>1500 lines; I didn't write it, I simply have to maintain it)
>xedit exits and puts up the message "Memory fault".  UNIX does not
>panic so I don't think this is a real memory error, but I didn't see

The "memory fault" message is probably from your shell when it detects that
the xedit program aborted because the kernel caught it trying to go outside
of it's memory space.  This kind of problem is usually caused by a bad pointer
or by running off the end of an array.  Since you are trying to edit a large
file I would bet that xedit is running off the end of an array.

Anyway, UNIX *should* not panic no matter what your program tries to do.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170