mkfs gap option

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Wed May 2 13:50:09 AEST 1990

In article <PCG.90Apr30221039 at odin.cs.aber.ac.uk< pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
<
<In article <1990Apr29.000503.10934 at nebulus.UUCP> dennis at nebulus.UUCP
<(Dennis S. Breckenridge) writes:
<
<   pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
<
<   >Essentially the gap size depends on rotational speed of the disc
<   >(virtually a constant), and on interrupt latency and IO operation
<    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What is this? Different drives have DIFFERENT
<    speeds. Even the same supplier does NOT adhere to the same speeds.
<
<Bah. Virtually every drive around does 3600 RPM, for an average
<rotational latency of 8.3 ms. Exceptions I know are the optical drives
<(slower, they have a limit in the state changes/sec. of their
<head/medium).

And just last week I was looking over the specs on the current Shugart lines,
and there were 3 different drive rotational speeds listed.

All were SCSI drives.  Since we just talk to the host in SCSI land it really
doesn't make any difference to us.  And many of the new SCSI's are using zone
bit recording - so we don't know much about the data, execpt it's block #.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP